Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy (MLC) invites you to attend our annual Muskegon’s Bright Lights Festival, in celebration of the Michigan Maritime Festival. On Saturday, August 19, 2017, festival-goers can visit Muskegon South Pierhead Light, overlooking the award-winning Pere Marquette Beach and climb the tower to take in unparalleled views of Muskegon’s broad Lake Michigan shoreline, forests and beaches.
Special festival offerings include family-friendly events, performances, a children’s chalk art contest and extended hours of operation. Visitors can personally experience Muskegon’s maritime history by attending docent-led tower tours and climbing fifty feet to the top of the Muskegon South Pierhead Light. The lighthouse is run by trained and qualified volunteer history docents and the community is encouraged to become involved by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check back here or follow Muskegon South Pierhead Light on Facebook for up-to-date festival developments. (Plans to open the Muskegon South Breakwater Light are currently on hold until restoration can take place within the tower and on the Breakwater, owned by the Army Corps of Engineers and currently closed to the public.)
Regular Season Tower Tour Schedule
Monday, Friday & Saturday … 1-5 p.m.
July & August, thru Labor Day
Monday, Thurs., Friday & Saturday … 1-5 p.m.
*Additionally in July – Saturday evening Sunset Tours … 5-8 p.m!
» More Info
More Special Events & Openings Planned for 2017
• Tuesday, August 7 – National Lighthouse Day Celebration and Sunset Opening 5-8 pm
• Thursday, September 21 – United States Lighthouse Society Special Tour Opening
• Extended season and special Saturday Sunset openings scheduled between Labor Day through Halloween (check back for hours of operation)
• Trick or Treating at the Lighthouse on Halloween, Tuesday, October 31 (time tbd in collaboration with local Trick-or-Treating)
• Openings in connection with the Cruise Ship arrivals of Pearl Mist and Movies on the Beach (dates and times tbd)
- Gentle Yoga in Lighthouse Bay- Mondays June 26- Labor Day, 12 pm- 1 pm, $10 drop-in
Treat yourself to some mind-quieting Gentle Yoga as you stretch and restore on Lake Michigan’s shore! Our practice encourages you to move slowly, allowing you to soak up the beauty of your surroundings as the sunlight warms your body and the sand slips between your toes. Gentle Yoga in Lighthouse Bay will give you the time to explore both simple and more complex principles of alignment in order to create a safer, stronger and more relaxed practice. Stunning views of both Muskegon Pier Light and Muskegon Breakwater Light will help you to hold certain gentle postures for extended periods of restoration. Experience the gentle lapping waves of Lake Michigan as the sound track for your practice on the silky smooth sands of award-winning Pere Marquette Beach.
Gentle Beach Yoga in Lighthouse Bay is an appropriate class for all ages and levels and will meet you where you are, cultivating self-care with respect for student’s injuries and limitations. A firm believer that anyone who can breathe can benefit from Yoga, Cindy Beth infuses her passion for the practice through each pose, offering gentle and uplifting cues with special emphasis on breath, balance, playfulness, relaxation and the enjoyment of remaining present.
* Classes are $10 and a portion of the proceeds will benefit the lighthouse restoration efforts of the nonprofit Michigan Lighthouse Conservancy, whose mission is to preserve and promote Muskegon’s Lights and other lighthouses. Participants are welcomed to climb the Muskegon South Pierhead Light tower at a discounted price immediately following class.